1.03.2012

Salted Toffee and Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

New Years Eve. Such a big night, so much pressure, so many hopes and dreams. This year's New Years Even I really felt the pressure and my hopes and dreams were high! We were headed to one of my best friend's NYE party and in addition to the usual bevies and excellent company, guests were tasked with making cookies for a friendly cookie competition and swap. I knew I needed a stand out cookie that strayed slightly from the beaten path, but would impress. I went with a salted toffee and dark chocolate chunk oatmeal cookie (adapted from this recipe) based off some other cookies I have had,  the coveted Castle Press cookie. This is one of the best cookies I've had and nailing down the recipe is almost impossible. There's something about the texture that I can't quite put my finger on. If you've had these cookies, you know how incredible they are and I thought this would be an excellent style cookie for this party, but I added a bit of a twist with my liberal salting. This is a pretty basic cookie recipe, but adding salt really takes it to the next level. If you're looking for something new, I think you'll be happy with this!

I was feeling good about this cookie, but had no idea what I was up against. I consider myself a decent enough baker, so I felt somewhat confident. The cookie received a positive reception. But, the question is, did I win the cookie contest?  No, I did not! I'm happy to say one of my girls brought home the best all around at one of her first baking attempts and she knocked it out of the park. Killer cookie bar, E! My husband and I made a chocolate chip Rugelach as well which brought home the "best looking" prize. Thank you Ina Garten, for this Rugelach gem, which is pretty easy and has been a reliable crowd pleaser.






How did you ring in the new year? Have you tried any new recipes yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment

So happy you stopped by Bundts of Steel- I love reading your comments, so keep them coming!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...